Saturday 7 November 2009

Passing time...

I am having a good weekend despite the fact that I have begun to experience a slight pain in my side if I lie on one side for too long. I woke up last night in pain but it was all fine after I moved to lie on my back. Apparently this kind of pain is common and is due to the round ligament that is attached to uterus stretching as pregnancy progresses. Not even sure what this means!

I have also found out what the pain in my side that I had for about two moths is all about. I have very very bad ovulation pain when I am not pregnant (obviously) and I feel generally rotten during my periods (though cramps are not debilitating, just uncomfortable) and apparently this is due to my eggs bursting through the egg follicle. It’s called
Mittelschmerz and it is so bad that I can tell you that the egg that has become LD came from my left ovary. The last time I ovulated it lasted a week and I continued to have a dull pain on my left side through out the first trimester. Apparently this was probably from the development and functioning of the corpus luteum, the temporary structure formed from the ovarian follicle to produce progestogen until the placenta can take over. So I had the pain till the thing passed this function on to the placenta and died a natural death! I didn’t always have extremley painfull ovulation – I remember my very first ovulation being very painful (it was also on the left side actually) but most of the time it was just like a mild cramp. I suppose being on the pill for the last 3 and half years or so has affected my body somewhat. Anyway the point of this is that appareantly mild side pain is normal in the first trimester, as long as you are not bleeding, fainting, suffering a fever etc etc...meanwhile here is a little disclaimer just in case there are some crazy people out there who might think I am a doctor. Please go see your doctor/mid wife etc - this is my experience and I have no idea what is going on with you!

Okay enough technical icky stuff, beginning to bore myself!

No comments: