Monday 9 November 2009

Weekend shenanigans

Very very good news. I can cook again!

I made a prawn curry and roti (a bit sparse on the prawns, heavy on the vegetables but very tasty, according to Doright) and managed to bake some scones (of which Doright ate four straight away then pretended he didn’t know what happened to them!?). Slowly getting back into the mix. Even dreaming about cooking!

Still not much happening with LD. Just waiting for something really exciting to happen...in other news I booked my midwife appointment – this stuff is definitely not an exact science. I was supposed to have it in my16th week but she cannot see me until 27 of November which is my 19th week or so.

Meanwhile, I had my first driving lesson and apparently I have a lot of bad driving habits! Apparently you are supposed to look in your mirrors before you signal...This is going to be very hard! Instructor is ok. He doesn’t inspire too much confidence and it is quite unnerving having someone watching me drive. And his car is a little weird – it’s a Hyundai and feels like a toy, very high biting point on the clutch and revs when you rest your foot on the clutch – very light. The roads here a lot tighter than the ones in Zambia. We don’t park on the side of the road or have so much road paraphernalia. Had an hour lesson but that was enough really, was getting bored of driving round in circles after a while!

Also went out to buy maternity clothes on Saturday afternoon. Doright came along for the trip and because he wanted to purchase a trimmer for his new beard (yes, Doright is growing a beard, kind of like it actually), but once we were in Mothercare he was really getting into the baby stuff, looking at Moses baskets and pushchairs. I think it helped that a friend of his phoned just as we got started and he was able to tell him, quite excitedly, that we were shopping for maternity clothes. They got into a big conversation about baby travel systems while I wondered off to look at shirts that weren’t going to squeeze me half to death. Apparently Phil & Teds are the best...trust men to get into a conversation about vehicles!

Telling people has really got Doright excited and planning. Whereas I told everyone I really wanted to straight after the CVS results, he has taken his time and is only just spreading the word. He seems to be enjoying announcing “We are having a baby” or “I am going to be a daddy!” He is in nesting mood now – this involves tidying up our little flat, getting rid of all the papers (shocking how much useless stuff two people can accumulate) and deciding where in our little box we are going to put our child. So far we have agreed the baby will have a Moses basket and sleep in the bedroom for the first six months…then move into a cot in the living room. Considering going moving back to Zambia next year…lots of reasons but foremost being the space, the convenience of being near my family and the much cheapness to be found in the lifestyle. Oh and off course the opportunity to get my real life back cannot be scoffed at.

Anyways I must say the whole pregnancy thing has taught me much, even in these early stages. In no particular order;

1. Nothing much happens in early pregnancy – especially if you have no symptoms for the first few months – there is a lot of waiting around and pretending to be really ecstatic when all you want to do is pee.
2. Family, especially if you have good relationship, is great to have around
3. The internet is not the tree of knowledge – but it is really close!
4. Sleep is very very important
5. I really like to cook
6. People behave very oddly about pregnancies...what exactly are y’all excited about? And keep your distance as you explain I am armed!
7. CS gas/Pepper spray/tasers are illegal in the UK (I was really bummed when I learnt this!)
8. Hospitals are not pleasant places
9. Studying Credit/Financial Risk is very hard when you are pregnant and sleepy/absent minded/ just plain not interested!
10. Pregnancy is hard on the man because he is just a spectator for the most part...


My advice to you is have your child as close to your relatives as possible (if you get along, or else try the other side of the world), when you like your job and aren’t studying!

No comments: