Friday 8 January 2010

Midwife visit and bleeding gums

Rome was nice – time to rest and hide. Not showing so much so didn’t have constant questions about the baby – gave me time to come to terms with the situation.

Saw my midwife again – she is a relief after the whole foetal medicine unit – she is actually helpful and allows for my neurotic worrying. She appears to take into consideration the fact that this is my first child. She measures my bump and fills in my various forms. As a tax and National Insurance paying person I can claim for a Health in Pregnancy grant (£190) and a pregnancy exemption certificate for any prescriptions or dental work I get from now until the child is one. I am looking into tax credits so I can make my measly statutory maternity pay go further after my paid Mat leave is over. I might not be eligible as our household makes too much money and I am not a single mother (Damn that Doright for being well paid and marrying me!). Statutory Maternity pay is only six weeks at 90% then a pittance (which is taxed after that) so I really will be poverty stricken this year. May be forced to go back to work sooner rather than later. I have taken to worrying about it constantly and wishing to win the lottery.

I told her how much I have hated dealing with the Foetal medicine people – she says she will arrange for someone from there to call me so that I can discuss my experience. I have also been in a great deal of pain, mainly in my hips that makes me limp when I walk – walking has generally been really painful though I suspect it has something to do with the general coldness of the weather as the pain was not so bad in Rome, which was wormer than London. I know I have lived in the UK too long when the prospect of 10 degrees Celsius is exciting! The midwife is arranging

I haven’t managed to get registered with a dentist yet and need to sort my teeth out – my gums are bleeding every time I brush and I am convinced my breath must be toxic! The pregnancy and my pre pregnancy consumption of red wine have adversely affected my teeth.

No comments: